This article describes the solutions available in Information Management Platform and eDiscovery Bundle to create an archive of email messages from a Microsoft Outlook PST archive or separate MSG files. The metadata of email messages (from, to, cc, sate sent, ...) can be extracted, attachments can be linked to their original messages, and documents can be full text searched.
eDiscovery Bundle is the most complete solution. An archive created with eDiscovery Bundle is eDiscovery-ready and features easy Review and Production of messages. Documents can be full text searchable and images, even within attachments, can be OCRed.
A PST archive can be opened using Microsoft Outlook and archived using the ZyLAB Archiving Services for MS Office plugin. The archiving action requires just a few clicks, and the ZyLAB Archiving Services index is aware of parent/child relationship within email messages, it can archive calendar items and contacts, and electronic documents can be full-text searched.
Extract MSG messages from the PST archive using a third party tool, and index them in an Information Management Platform index as follows. This solution will extract the attachments from the messages and index them, but it will not keep the parent/child relationships. Also messages metadata (from,to, cc, subject, ...) may not be extracted.
- Extract MSG messages from the PST archive.
- Create a dedicated Information Management Platform index, including Email Properties fields.
- Enable the “Append electronic document properties at the end of the indexed text” index option in ZyINDEX.
- Enable the “Index MSG attachments” Advanced index option. This option requires MAPI libraries to extract message properties, so Microsoft Outlook should be installed on the same machine building the index.
- Copy the individual MSG files to the Electronic Index Data folder.
- Build the index. The index building operation will extract the content of the MSG files.
3.4; 3.5; 3.6; 3.7; 3.7 Service Pack 1; 6.0 Service Pack 1; 6.0 Service Pack 2; 6.0; 6.1; 6.1 Service Pack 1; 6.1 Service Pack 2; 6.2; 6.2 Service Pack 1; 6.2 Service Pack 2; 6.3; 6.4; 6.4 Service Pack 1