- Only Office 2007 or 2010 file formats (i.e. DOCX, XLSX, ...) are saved as ZIP in Internet Explorer.
- Other browsers or more up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer can save the same files in the expected format.
This happens because the Office 2007 or 2010 file formats use zip compression to make the file sizes smaller. Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8 include a setting that may cause the extension of some files to change to .zip when it detects that the file uses zip compression.
To prevent this from occurring in the future, you may want to update Internet Explorer to a version newer than 7 or 8.
Alternatively you can disable the setting that causes the file extension to change. To do this, complete the following steps:
- In Internet Explorer, click Tools > Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Security tab.
- With the Internet zone selected, click the Custom Level button.
- Scroll down to the setting that says "Open files based on content, not file extension".
- Click the Disable option and then click OK.
- When prompted "Are you sure you want to change settings for this zone?" click Yes.
- Click the OK button to close the Internet Options dialog box.
(Please note that the release notes of the release you have in use contain the supported browsers!
6.0; 6.1; 6.1 SP1; 6.1 SP2; 6.2; 6.2 SP1; 6.2 SP2; 6.3; 6.4
Article is closed for comments.