Platform support guidelines
From time to time, ZyLAB introduces or discontinues support for its products on third party platforms. Communication with regards to newly introduced or discontinued platform support will be made available through the documentation for its release vehicles: Major Release, Minor Release and Service Pack (see the ZyLAB Release Policy).
Third party release editions
ZyLAB develops, tests and supports its products on the following operating systems:
- Server-side components
- Enterprise Editions of Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- Client-side components
- Professional Editions of Microsoft Windows client operating systems.
Third party releases a new release of an existing product
ZyLAB adopts third party upgrades in upcoming releases or service packs of its products depending on the impact the third party upgrade has on ZyLAB products.
Third party vendor releases a new release
E.g. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.
- ZyLAB will introduce support for the third party Release as of its next Minor or Major Release, with a minimum of six months of general availability of the third party Release.
- ZyLAB will immediately discontinue support for older third party Releases if introducing support for the new Release results in 3 or more supported third party Releases.
Third party vendor releases a Service Pack
E.g. Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP2.
ZyLAB will introduce support for the third party Service Pack as of its next Service Pack, with a minimum of three months of general availability of the third party Service Pack.
- ZyLAB will immediately discontinue support for third party Service Pack upon introducing support for a new third party Service for a given Release.
- Third party vendor retires a release of an existing product
- ZyLAB may retire support for third party Release in upcoming Major, Minor and Service Packs of its products. Factors such as market adoption amongst ZyLAB customers may influence the retirement.
Third party vendor introduces a new platform
Depending on market adoption and impact on its products, ZyLAB may introduce support for a new platform in an upcoming Major Release.
ZyLAB and virtualization
For high performance production systems we advise to use dedicated machines rather than virtual machines. Performance is an important factor in the consideration to virtualize servers, especially for database applications and other high CPU usage applications that require substantial disk activity.
ZyLAB does not perform tests in a virtualized environment for all of the supported operating systems in the wide range of supported operating systems. Therefore, ZyLAB will attempt to reproduce support cases on dedicated machines. Should this attempt fail, ZyLAB will conclude that the virtualization component is the root cause and will advise customers to deploy the software on dedicated machines.
You can download a PDF version of our Platform Support Policy here.